Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Grievous Bodily Darts













After Christmas I came down with a dose of 'man-flu' which meant that I was couch-ridden for a few days.

Fortunately the
PDC (Professional Darts Corporation) World Championships were being held and televised on Sky, day and night, which meant that I, and by default my partner Louise, were able to witness some 'great darts'.

We both have a soft spot for Phil 'The Power' Taylor, and got behind Colin Osborne in his first Championship, but it's fair to say we're
members of the Barney Army as we cheered on Raymond Van "Barney" Barneveld.

This leads me to the final between Taylor and Barney which was an absolute cracker.

If anyone ever gets the chance to see it again (Planet Darts TV shows replays) I would highly recommend it. The game was pulsating, close, spectacular, chock full of 'great darts' and played in a competitive,
yet friendly spirit.

Lou and I were transfixed by the duel between the two, and went from cheering the Barney to cursing his nonchalance at times.

After coming from 3-0 down and hitting 21 180's (a full score for non-dart types) Barney managed to prevail, 7-6, in a sudden death playoff against the greatest player of the past 20 years, perhaps ever, Taylor, in a match spliced with some of the best commentary I've ever heard from Sid Waddell - the post title is just one of his corkers!

Anyway as a wrap there is
an interview with Barney in today's Guardian which has prompted me to post my thoughts on this amazing game.

Checking out, double tops for the game....


1 comment:

Owen said...

Nice.